After introducing yourself, stick to a short, but thoughtful, list of questions. For example:
- Can you tell me about your experiences doing this type of work?
- Can you tell me about the path you took to get to this point?
- …about a typical day?
- What do you enjoy most about your work? What do you least enjoy?
- What recommendations would you give to someone interested in getting involved in this area of practice?
- What experience did you have to get your job?
- What are the toughest problems and decisions you handle?
- What do you wish you had known about your position/the field before you started?
- What type of professional and personal skills does it take to succeed at this type of work?
- What do you see as the major issues/ trends in the field today?
- What recommendations do you have for me regarding a job search strategy?
- What other people do you recommend that I talk with? May I tell them that you referred me to them
- What are your primary job responsibilities?
- Thank you very much for your time and advice. It has been very helpful.