Dream Job: Mastering the Art of Interviewing by Ramit Sethi
- Don’t ramble- Just shut up! Use short, concise sentences. 30-45 seconds per answer.
- Tell stories- Give an example for each skill you are highlighting
Other Ramit Sethi Interviewing Tips (http://privatelist.findyourdreamjob.com/master-level-interviewing/):
- Have 3 “Must Says”- These are different for each job you apply to. Think about the hiring managers fears and what would make their job easier.
- Stick to the message– AKA reinforce your must says
- When asked how to answer the question “tell me about yourself”- only use critical points and must says (example: I worked on Capitol Hill in a busy office where I learned how to prioritize and work effectively in a fast-paced environment; I went to law school where improved my analytical skills)
- Answer the question behind the question–
- Why do you want to work here?- They are looking to see if you have prepared a crisp, short answer.
- Are you a job hopper?- They are worried that you will leave right after being hired. The Answer: “When I first started my career I didn’t know what I wanted so I tried … Now I know exactly what I want, which is why I’m excited to be here. I know this is where I want to build my career, and I’m ready to spend several years doing that.”